Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
Big organizing jobs require a little prep work!
In step one of the AtticMaxx “Organize Your Attic” blog series, we’ll share preparation tools that will help you get the job done right!
Take Stock of Items Stored in Your Attic
Climb up to your attic and take stock so you can create a plan of attack. Answer the following questions:
- What are the big categories of “stuff” in your attic?
- What truly belongs in your attic and what belongs elsewhere?
- What will you need help moving?
Create “Must Go” and “Must Keep” Rules
Before you start sorting and cleaning, create rules for yourself identifying which items to keep and which items you’ll part with to simplify decision making. Write down these rules and refer to them throughout your attic organization project. For example: household items I do not like and will not use—MUST GO. Clothes that I haven’t worn in two years—MUST GO. Letters from a special loved one—MUST KEEP.
Gather the Supplies
We recommend you gather the following list of supplies before you start sorting, cleaning and organizing:
- Good task lighting
- Boxes and garbage bags for donations and trash.
- Sorting containers (boxes) labeled KEEP, TRASH, DONATE, and BELONGS ELSEWHERE.
- A pad of paper to write down notes and an inventory of items.
- Masking tape and a Sharpie for labeling containers.
- Sticky notes for identifying categories.
- And if you’re tackling this job alone, an MP3 player loaded with good tunes to keep you motivated!
Another step you can take toward the beginning of your project is investigate local charities that will accept the clothing, household items, furniture and books you’ll be removing from your attic. Schedule pickup appointments so items can be carted away as soon as possible. If you’re storing items for family members, schedule a time for them to come claim their treasures.
And one last prep task … snap a “before” picture. You’ll want to celebrate your work when you’re done. And, we’d love to celebrate with you! Let us know that you’re on board with the challenge by commenting below or speaking up on the AtticMaxx Facebook Page. We’ll cheer on your progress step by step.
Come back next week for “Organize Your Attic” Step Two: The What, When and Where of Getting the Job Done.”
Homeowners in Raleigh, North Carolina who could use more space in their attic should check out the AtticMaxx Shelving System, which is now available at Seaboard ACE Hardware in downtown Raleigh. Seaboard ACE Hardware is located at 802 Semart Drive, across from the old Seaboard Railroad Station right off Peace Street.
The winner of the 2011 Spooky Attic Sweepstakes is JoDeen Wolff of Mounds, OK! JoDeen will receive a FREE attic makeover with great prizes including:
- An AtticMaxx Shelving System (set of 8 shelves) for attic trusses
- A one-hour consult from a professional organizer
- A $50 gift card to OrganizedAtoZ.com
- Eight Rubbermaid® Roughneck® Clear storage containers
- A Fabric Garment Rack Closet
- Five 10-label packs of Post-it® Storage Container Labels 2800-SC
Congratulations, JoDeen! And for those who didn’t win, you can still take small steps to turn the chaos of your attic into valuable, organized storage space. Organizing expert Perri Kersh offers great attic-attack organization tips to help you get started pre-holiday decorating.
Just imagine the joy of being able to find that tree topper this year without having to unstack and dig through piles of boxes! Don’t get aggravated…get organized! Restore all the joy to holiday decorating this season.
Enter the SPOOKY Attic Sweepstakes for a chance to win a FREE attic makeover!
Is your attic a disorganized mess? Do you have teetering towers of storage containers or boxes piled to the ceiling? Send us your SPOOKY disorganized attic photos and you’ll be entered into the Spooky Attic Sweepstakes for a chance to receive a FREE attic makeover with great prizes including: